Main Menu
Small Claims Limits
The monetary jurisdiction of the Small Claims Court is prescribed by regulation under the Courts of Justice Act. As of January 1, 2010, the monetary jurisdiction of the court increased from $10,000 to its current level of $25,000.
Contact Us

Small Claims Court
A Professional Approach

We have the skill and knowledge to work your claims or applications through the Small Claims Court and Tribunal processes, saving you time, effort and money.
Small Claims Court Paralegal Services

We are here to serve you

Small Claims Court services provided by Goodman Paralegal include:

Court Representation

• Drafting and filing of Claims, Defences and Defendant’s Claims
• Attendance at Pre-Trials / Settlement Conferences
• Preparation and attendance on Motions
• Preparation and attendance at Trials
• Appeals to Divisional Court (lawyer representation)

Enforcement of Judgments - the recovery of judgments obtained through the courts

• Writs of Seizure and Sale – Land or Personal Property
• Garnishments – bank accounts, wages or other debts
• Judgment Debtor Examinations
• Skip Tracing
• Judgments and Orders from the Landlord and Tenant Board, or other tribunals

We understand that obtaining a judgment is important; but the enforcement of the judgment is the ultimate goal.

About Small Claims Court

The Small Claims Court has jurisdiction to order payment of money or recovery of
possession of personal property where the amount claimed does not exceed $25,000, excluding
costs such as court fees. The $25,000 limit includes the value of all goods that the plaintiff is asking for in total, no matter how many defendants there are.

If the amount of your claim is more than $25,000, you can still choose to use Small Claims Court. However, you will forego any amount over $25,000, as well as any future right to claim this money in any other court.

You cannot divide the amount of money you are claiming into separate claims.  You cannot, for
example, divide $35,500 into a $25,000 claim and a $10,500 claim in order to have the total amount dealt with in two separate claims.




Home | About Us | Sitemap | Contact